After completing the first 41 games above .500, the Red Wings will start the second half of their season tonight in Nashville.
Detroit went 18-17-6 during the first half of the season and look to improve on an already improved record compared to the last few seasons. The Red Wings need to improve their road record as they currently sit at 5-11-3 while they are away from home ice and have one of toughest schedules in the league.
Game time tonight is 8:30 PM ET in Nashville, TN and will be it until they play Chicago on Wednesday at home.
Nashville links to the Contributor
Rookie forward, Philip Tomasino is a former Niagara Ice Dogs player and went to the school where I was a teacher. A former #5 overall pick for Niagara, Tomasino has represented Canada at several international tournaments including the 2021 WJC where he scored four goals and six points in Canada’s seven games. Tomasino has played 36 games for the Predators this year and has scored six goals and 14 points.
Prior to being drafted 5th overall by Brampton in the OHL draft, I had the pleasure of coaching against Matt Duchene at the OFSAA high school championships. His HS team defeated my team 5-4 and Duchene was by far the best player on the ice. I had a chat with Duchene after the game and to this day, the then humble teenager, is the best 16-year-old I have ever coached against. This season, Duchene is 2nd in Predators scoring with 17 goals and 35 points in 38 games.
Nashville goaltending coach Ben Vanderklok has strong ties to where I am from in Canada. I worked with Ben at my job as a teacher and considered him a friend during his time before he was hired by Nashville. After several seasons being the goaltending coach for the Niagara Ice Dogs (OHL) and Brock University (CIS), Ben was originally hired to be the assistant goaltending coach and worked with the Predators goaltending prospects. For the last seven years, Vanderklok has been the head goaltending coach for the terrific pipeline of goaltenders in the Predators system.
Red Wings Notes
- Detroit are currently 5th in the Atlantic Division with a 18-17-6 record
- The Red Wings special teams are currently ranked 25th in the NHL, PP 15.4%, PK 79.1%
- Dylan Larkin leads Detroit with 37 points in 36 games
- Tyler Bertuzzi and Larkin lead the Red Wings with 19 goals each
- Moritz Seider leads the Red Wings with 23 assists in 41 games
- Seider leads all Detroit defensemen in scoring with 26 points
- Bertuzzi continues to lead the Red Wings with a +14 rating
- Alex Nedeljkovic is expected to start and has an 12-10-5 record, 2.78 GAA, and .916 SV% in 29 games
- This morning, newly acquired Gemel Smith was sent to Grand Rapids for conditioning
Detroit Projected Lineup
Vladislav Namestnikov – Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Robby Fabbri – Pius Suter – Tyler Bertuzzi
Filip Zadina – Michael Rasmussen – Adam Erne
Givani Smith – Joe Veleno – Sam Gagner
Danny DeKeyser – Moritz Seider
Nick Leddy – Filip Hronek
Marc Staal – Gustav Lindstrom
Alax Nedeljkovic (starter)
Not in lineup
Riley Barber (lower body), Carter Rowney (undisclosed), Jordan Oesterle (healthy), Thomas Greiss (COVID-19)
- Nashville are currently 3rd in the Cantral Division with a 25-14-3 record
- The Predators special teams are currently ranked 10th in the NHL, PP 25.4%, PK 81.1%
- Defenseman Roman Josi leads Nashville with 42 points in 40 games
- Filip Forsberg leads the Predators with 19 goals
- Mikael Granlund and Josi lead Nashille with 29 assists each
- Defensemen Alexandre Carrier and Dante Fabbro lead the Predators with +9 ratings
- Goaltender Juuse Saros is expected to start and has a 21-11-2 record, 2.42 GAA, and .924 SV% in 34 games
Nashville Projected Lineup
Filip Forsberg – Mikael Granlund – Matt Duchene
Eeli Tolvanen – Ryan Johansen – Luke Kunin
Yakov Trenin – Colton Sissons – Tanner Jeannot
Nick Cousins – Michael McCarron – Philip Tomasino
Roman Josi – Alexandre Carrier
Mattias Ekholm – Matt Benning
Mark Borowiecki – Matt Tennyson
Juuse Saros (starting)
Not in lineup
Ben Harpur (healthy), Jeremy Davies (healthy), Philippe Myers (healthy), Dante Fabbro (upper body)