The day has finally come, and the Detroit Red Wings are slated to take the ice once again as they open up training camp ahead of the 2023-24 regular season. It’s been a long summer of waiting, especially after some of the moves the team has made to improve things going into this fall.
However, the time has come, and the Detroit Red Wings are ready to get underway with the 2023-24 training camp. The team hits the ice for the first time today, opening up a five-day training camp from September 21st through the 25th in Traverse City.
This comes after the Red Wings had a group of prospects put together a 0-3 record in the Prospect Tournament held up in Traverse City. But it’s time for the big boys to hit the ice as the team tunes up for the regular season.
The Red Wings announced that 68 players will attend training camp as the team looks to get players working alongside different linemates, breed some competition, and iron out any questions before taking their opening night roster south to Hockeytown.
Detroit Red Wings open training camp; here’s the details.
Well, like a quick infomercial, here are the details that fans need to know as the Detroit Red Wings hit the ice once again.
- Where? – Centre Ice Arena in Traverse City, Mich.
- When? –September 21st-25th
- Practices: Sept 21st-23rd & 25th
- Red vs. White game: September 24th
- Who? – 68 players were named to the training camp roster, including NHL veterans, rookies, AHL veterans, recent draftees, and players brought in on professional try-out contracts.
- What’s on the docket? –The team will divide into teams to work through practices before the Red vs. White game, followed by one last practice on September 25th before heading south to Detroit
- What’s next after training camp? – The Red Wings will kick off an eight-game pre-season slate of games against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Little Caesars Arena on September 26th
- Can you attend training camp? – Yes, the Red Wings are selling a select number of tickets to the events going on at training camp as well as selling training camp merchandise, as noted in their press release about training camp.
As mentioned above, 68 players are attending Detroit Red Wings Training camp; below is a graphic from the team’s X/Twitter account showcasing who’s in town.
— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) September 20, 2023
It’s going to be a busy weekend for the Red Wings as they force some competition, work out the kinks, and figure out which players are going to fit in where. With a plethora of new names in the mix after a busy off-season, there will be plenty of storylines to keep an eye on.
For Red Wings fans, it will be nice to see the players back on the ice as they tune up for the regular season. It’s an exciting time to be a Red Wings fan, and the long road ahead starts now. Fans, buckle up and strap in because training camp is only the beginning!